Balance transfers can be a great way to finally rid yourself of lingering debt. By transferring debt on a high interest credit card to a card with an introductory interest-free period, you can save money on interest payments and benefit from more time to pay off your debt. In this guide, weâ€™ll provide step-by-step instructions on how to complete a balance transfer with Chase online and over the phone; the whole process should only take a few minutes. Keep in mind, however, that you canâ€™t complete a balance transfer with Chase if your debt is on another Chase card â€” in that case, check out our full list of balance transfer cards here. Otherwise, if you are considering transferring your credit card balance from a non-Chase card, our recommended Chase card is the Chase FreedomÂ®.
Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories every 3 months. Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
After the instructions, we list some best practices for completing a balance transfer with Chase.
Complete your transfer online
1. Login to your account. Click on â€śPay & transferâ€ť then select â€śCard balance transfers.â€ť
2. Choose an offer. You should see your intro balance transfer offer listed. If your intro offer isnâ€™t listed, contact a Chase rep. If youâ€™ve had your card for a while, there may be no intro BT offer available, but sometimes Chase periodically has new offers.
3. Input the account number of the credit card with your debt and the amount that you want to transfer. The amount you enter must not be greater than $15,000 or greater than your available credit limit (including any fees). If you enter an invalid amount, a box will appear stating the exact maximum amount youâ€™re able to transfer.
4. Next, youâ€™ll review the terms and conditions associated with your offer. Once you read them, check the box below the T&C and click â€śAgree & continue.â€ť
5. Lastly, review and confirm the balance transfer request is accurate and click â€śSet up transferâ€ť to request your balance transfer.
Complete your transfer by phone
If you rather complete a transfer over the phone, simply call the number on the back of your card to speak to a representative. Have the following information ready:
Name on the account with the debt
Amount to be transferred
Chase balance transfer rules
Request your balance transfer as soon as possible. Chase requires balance transfers to be completed within 60 days from account opening to take advantage of intro offers.
Review the terms of your balance transfer offer to verify theyâ€™re correct. Make sure you receive the offer you expected and note when the intro period ends.
Continue to make payments towards your balance until the balance transfer posts to your account. This may take up to three weeks.
Pay each bill on time â€” late payments may cause Chase to cancel the offer.
Keep spending to a minimum so you donâ€™t rack up more debt. Your goal should be to pay off your balance and excessive spending can lead you to fall into more debt.
Advertiser Disclosure: The card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which MagnifyMoney receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). MagnifyMoney does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.